Victoria residents frequently report challenges related to reliability, availability and affordability of internet access. In November 2019, the City Council adopted a resolution requesting that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) enforce their established customer service standards on Suddenlink, the primary internet service provider in the city. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the need for improved internet service became even clearer as residents relied on the internet for work, school and entertainment. In 2020, the City established the Victoria Broadband Commission along with partners in the government, education, medical and economic sectors.
The City continues to play an active role in improving internet access by identifying and pursuing solutions such as attracting new service providers; expanding infrastructure; implementing digital equity programs; and participating in regional initiatives.
Fiber network installation
The map below shows neighborhoods that are scheduled for fiber installation this year. Installations will take place on the public easements (shown in yellow; zoom in to view details). Work schedules are determined by private companies and are subject to change. We will update the map as we receive information.
Crews will reach out to residents and leave door hangers to notify them of upcoming installations. Please reach out to the company directly if you have any questions.
- What are AT&T and Sparklight doing?
- Is the City paying for the installation of these networks?
- How long will the installation take?
- Will high-speed internet be available at my house?
- How will I know when the installation crews are coming to my street?
- How will the networks be installed?
- Will the crews come onto my property during the installation?
- Will the crews trim my trees during the installation?
- AT&T to bring its high-speed fiber internet service to Victoria
- City Corner Column: Up to speed - Broadband improvement has been a long-term effort by City
- City’s Victoria Broadband Commission seeks to expand broadband options with Sparklight partnership
- City Corner Column: Victoria Broadband Commission seeks ways to keep people connected @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>